A couple of rants about Launchpad

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Fri Mar 6 14:42:03 GMT 2009

> In my experience, dist-upgrade is more often problematic than not. I
> recently tried taking a laptop through 6.06->8.04->8.10 (I could only
> find a 6.06 CD on hand). LTS to LTS to current should be flawless; I
> had to do command-line stuff with apt-get to get it to work smoothly.
> That's just not good enough.

Aye to that! However, to be fair, even Centos/RHEL encounter problems
doing upgrades between point releases (4.3->4.4)

> I recently had to disrecommend Ubuntu on servers at work because the
> desktop dist-upgrade just isn't up to scratch IME, and that just
> doesn't bode well enough for servers. (Instead we're using
> RHEL/CentOS, which doesn't do the equivalent well at all, but *does*
> have seven years of maintenance. If we were going to do it, I'd
> probably go Debian plus hand-installed binaries. But RHEL/CentOS is
> easier on this score.)

I come from RHEL/Centos and certain toolchains have yet to have a
parallel in quality in Ubuntu/Debian. Maybe I should give fai a try...
> Debian famously manages dist-upgrades flawlessly. What are they doing
> that we aren't?

Debian's repositories are solid because of the way they deal with
packages in their various repositories. But if Ubuntu were to take the
Debian way of doing things...Ubuntu would be 'out-dated' like Debian. I
only moved over from Centos 5 because Ubuntu Hardy promised LTS and also
had the toolchains I wanted (kvm) that Centos 5 did not have. At the
moment, I do not need to manage dozens of machines so I will continue to
use Ubuntu Hardy/Intrepid. I have not had much problems aside from
trying to automate things (mostly installation which I have not yet
conquered), waiting for an update to libvirt0 and the final straw having
Xgl mess me up due to power management issues on the multiseat setup. I
will wait for the day I can clear Windows off the desktops.