This place sure goes in "spurts"

Florian Diesch diesch at spamfence.net
Tue Jul 21 01:09:13 BST 2009

Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> writes:

> 2009/7/20 Odd <iodine at runbox.no>:
>> Harold Sawyer wrote:
>>> I don't consider myself a nutbag.  I don't think the world is 6,000 years old.
>>>
>>> None of my circle believe that either.  But I am an active Christian,
>>> volunteering in prisons.  Not pushing my faith on others, but helping
>>> those who want to try my faith connect, then change life styles.  Over
>>> the past 15 plus years, I think I have had some positive impact.
>>
>> Fair enough.
>>
>>> Of course, anti-christian nuts might take issue with that.    Odd, are
>>> you an anti-christian nut?
>>
>> Mostly anti-religion. I see what religious beliefs do to the world
>> and wish for a world with no religions..
>
> Entirely agree. I would like to see a world with no religious or any
> supernatural belief of any kind. Rationality and science are the only
> ways to get anywhere. Morality is entirely separable from religion,
> but religion can be used to justify any kind of vile crime

I don't think religion is the problem. The problem is when ideas
getting more important than people - atheism isn't any better then.

Often it's about using things like "our nation", "our race", "our
political system", "our religion" to divide people into "we" and
"them". Finding a reason to fight against "them" is then just a matter
of time.

> Organised religion and the use of faith to justify irrational actions
> are the among the most negative and invidious problems of the world
> today.

None of the big wars or mass killings in the 20th century were caused by
religion.

> We need science, reason and logic to find our way out of the mess we
> have got in by believing in great invisible beings in the sky who
> control things, will make it all better when we screw up and will take
> us away to an undetectable, unprovable and entirely irrational better
> place when we die.

I don't think science, reason and logic will help. Like religions they
have the potential of being abused.

What we need is to recognize and respect the beliefs and practices of
others even if we don't understand them. And a way to limit the greed for
power and money.

   Florian
--
<http://www.florian-diesch.de/>