Restricted modules in Ubuntu

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 12:32:25 GMT 2009

2009/1/14 Brian Fahrlander <wheeldweller at gmail.com>:
> Scott wrote:
>> I 100% agree.  I'm Canadian and I have the freedom to download the
>> restricted extras as I wish.  It would be best to have a (k)ubuntu with
>> the restricted extras already installed and another version for the
>> Americans and the few people that don't want it installed.
>>
>> I hate it when people complain that (k)Ubuntu, "does not even have MP3
>> support.  What kind of OS is that?".  It is one of the more difficult
>> things to defend.  I try to explain the free formats, but that does not
>> seem to help.
>>
>    Well, let's not forget: it was THE GERMANS who imposed the
> $0.25/player, $0.75/encoder fees on the file format that everyone had
> already accepted.

Ogg, alas, will not play in either of my phones or my Creative Labs
jukebox or in iTunes on my Mac or Windows laptop or indeed in many
places. And no, my Creative Zen won't run Rockbox, I've looked.

Nice idea but little practical use.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven at aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven at hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven at yahoo.co.uk • Skype: liamproven • ICQ: 73187508