[OT] command of English by non-native speakers

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Mon Dec 21 04:08:58 GMT 2009

Op maandag 07-12-2009 om 19:17 uur [tijdzone +0100], schreef Amedee Van
Gasse (ub):
> > How many languages do your schools teach???
>
> French in primary school at age 10;

(French starting around age 7-8 in & near the bilingual region
Brussels!)

> English in secondary school at age 13.
> Some get German at age 15.
> And then of course some schools teach the classics: Latin&Greek, but I
> think that doesn't count. :)

Personally, being a Dutch speaker natively, I got:
- some French starting at age 9 ½
- ancient Latin & Greek starting at age 11 ½  (reading it)
- German starting around age 13 ½
- English starting around age 15 ½

(Maybe some people will be surprised now that I only learned English
that late, as currently it's the language I know best after
Dutch... ;) )

--
Jan Claeys