That Code of Conduct

Cybe R. Wizard cybe_r_wizard at earthlink.net
Sat Dec 5 01:28:43 GMT 2009

On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 01:26:46 +0100 (CET)
"Amedee Van Gasse (ub)" <amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be> wrote:

> On Sat, December 5, 2009 01:09, Cybe R. Wizard wrote:
> > On Sat, 5 Dec 2009 00:55:54 +0100 (CET)
> > "Amedee Van Gasse (ub)" <amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be> wrote:

[...]
> Have you ever answered a technical question that was asked by some new
> user? Ever? Even the simplest question?
> If your answer is yes, then you are (or have been) an active member
> of the Ubuntu community.

I have, yes (even here on sounder), but still feel as if I am one of the
disenfranchised when this kind of topic comes up.

> >> If you don't want to follow the CoC, you aren't obliged to actively
> >> participate in the mailing lists.
> >
> > Ah, but you aren't obliged to /not/ participate, either.  I know
> > I've seen Winduhs users here who have no intention of switching.
> >>
> >> Anyway, the CoC is More Like Guidelines Than Actual Rules.
> >> Arrrrr... ;-)
> >
> > 'At's right, Matey!  Arrrr!

DANG!  No more pirate talk?  I was beginning to enjoy it!  But maybe
that's bad, eh?

> >> There is no such thing as an official membership card of the Ubuntu
> >> community.
> >
> > An @ubuntu.com eddress wouldn't do it?  I would think it does.

I have since received confirmation from at least one with such an
eddress that I am right about it and that it also gives one the right,
"...to distribute your vcard based on ubuntu."

> if I take that to the extreme, anyone who doesn't post with an
> @ubuntu.com address is allowed to be as disruptive as (s)he wants. I
> am intentionally taking your words out of context. My goal is that
> you reply and explain in more detail what you mean.

My position is, at least here on the sounder list, that it should be
an, "Anything goes Ubuntu community chit-chat and discussion list."
(that's from the 'official' list description found here:

Of course, /anything/ goes is not really likely to happen.  I don't
expect physical law to be violated here, at least not too soon.  ;-}

That would, though, sort of negate any of the CoC bullying that some
wish to push about.
Disruptive?  I would hope most would be not so.  Obstinate and
opinionated? That's OK with me.  Somewhat terse and brusque with others
when it seems to be in order? Definitely in order and the very best way
to deal with those who are most times disruptive.

Enforced sweetness-and-light?  Tell it to Peter Pan.  Or Disney.  I've
got no time for it.

Cybe R. Wizard
--
Registered GNU/Linux user # 126326