Sounder mailing list etiquette and future direction

Robert Holtzman holtzm at cox.net
Fri Dec 4 22:55:28 GMT 2009

On Thu, Dec 03, 2009 at 10:10:59PM -0400, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Alan Pope wrote:
>
> > * Shutting down the sounder list completely
> > * Creating a new 'community' list with a revised charter and
> > moderation (and shutting down sounder)
> > * Introducing a {more} strict moderation system on the existing sounder
> > list * Keeping the list as it is
> >
> > Personally speaking the last of the listed options is the least
> > appealing.
>
> personally speaking, the new rigidity that says that free discussion is a
> bad thing is really turning me off Ubuntu.  I think I'm going back to
> Debian.
>
> It's Sounder, for heaven's sake.  It was always the place where anything
> goes.  It's bad enough when the Kubuntu-users list gets draconian, but at
> least there _is_ the argument that some new users are being turned off.
> Sounder is not a place where new users come.

You will always turn off some noobs no matter what the flavor of the
list is. "It's too technical", "It's not technical enough", "It's
insulting", "There's profanity", "I feel threatened", and on and on.
These people need to get a life, and it's not only the noobs I'm
refering to.

--
Bob Holtzman
Key ID: 8D549279