Sounder mailing list etiquette and future direction

Amedee Van Gasse (ub) amedee-ubuntu at amedee.be
Fri Dec 4 10:58:32 GMT 2009

On Fri, December 4, 2009 11:37, Daniel Holbach wrote:
> On 04.12.2009 11:20, Peter Garrett wrote:
>> What we are seeing here is the distortion of "Ubuntu" to mean "don't
>> upset anybody"...
>>
>> Unfortunately, this kind of attitude drives clueful but occasionally
>> abrupt people away.
>>
>> Anything that treads on anyone's toes is being seen as not in the
>> spirit of the Code of Conduct.
>>
>> Add me to the list of those who think that this is precious, and
>> constitutes a form of "reverse elitism".
>
> http://www.ubuntu.com/community/conduct leaves a lot of room for
> disagreeing and correcting others. In the past five years we had a lot
> disagreements and corrections in discussions and almost all of them
> happened in a polite and respectful manner. I will do all I can to keep
> it that way.
>
> I can't believe that anybody who takes the time to read our Code of
> Conduct believes that it's there to stifle discussion. All it asks for
> is a positive atmosphere.

I have read (and signed) the CoC, and I think that 99.9% of the
discussions on *sounder* are well within the boundaries of the CoC while
still leaving enough room for discussion. I have set up rules for the 0.1%
users that consistently violate (my interpretation of) the CoC. They don't
bother me any more. I feel liberated.

I respectfully disagree with the apparent general opinion that "anyone who
disagrees with X is in violation of the CoC". I don't want to invoke
Godwin...