Ubuntu "stable" is too broken to recommend

David Gerard dgerard at gmail.com
Mon Sep 8 22:03:05 BST 2008

The idea of a "stable" version is that shit doesn't just get broken.

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/virtualbox-ose-modules/+bug/260722

I just strongly disrecommended Ubuntu for a server build today at work
because a distro where a small change *repeatedly* leaves
virtualisation broken for weeks - this happens every minor kernel
tweak - is just not trustworthy. And believe me, it gave me no
pleasure to do so.

And I'm sure there's all manner of excuses that can be made ("it's not
us! blame these guys over here!"), but this just wouldn't happen on
Debian or Red Hat/CentOS.

Is there anything that can be done to resolve the systemic problems
this demonstrates?

- d.