Intrepid: where are the finalized specs ?

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Mon Jun 9 01:11:29 BST 2008

Op zaterdag 07-06-2008 om 19:45 uur [tijdzone -0400], schreef Cyrus
Jones:
> On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 6:39 PM, Vincent Trouilliez
> <vincent.trouilliez at modulonet.fr> wrote:
> > BTW, please don't  "Cc" me... I have received two copies of your
> > message...
>
> I used the standard reply-to-group/reply-to-all function in a mailing
> list.

Reply-to-list & reply-to-all are 2 completely different things: the
first one mails to the list, the second one mails to all (or most of)
the people listed in the headers (which might or might not include the
list).

There are a whole bunch of useful List-* headers defined in 2 RFCs:

                <mailto:sounder-request at lists.ubuntu.com?subject=subscribe>

Obviously, reply-to-list uses the List-Post header.

Thunderbird is probably the only mail client on Ubuntu that doesn't
support reply-to-list yet as is (despite there being a 7 year old bug
report...), but there is a solution that involves a patch and a couple
of extensions.  (AFAIK this patch is included in the Ubuntu package.)

(The lack of proper support for mailing lists, fucking up plain text
layout and other standards are some of the reasons why I don't use
Thunderbird & Gmail anymore, and suggest other people to look at other
mail clients.)

>  I always thought the mailing list would avoid sending you an
> email when it saw your address in the To: line. That's strange.
>
> I checked the mailing list options at
> https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/options/sounder
> If you log in, you will see an option (at the bottom of the page) for
> "Avoid duplicate copies of messages?".

The problem is that then your mail goes into a big dump of mails that I
scan diagonally once a weeks (most of what arrives on my list address
but outside mailing lists is spam or duplicate mails...), and the one
that's sent through the mailing list wouldn't arrive because of this
setting.

</rantish-mail>

--
Jan Claeys