Ubuntu usability test

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 18:19:29 GMT 2008

2008/12/31 Brian Fahrlander <wheeldweller at gmail.com>:
> Liam Proven wrote:
>>
>> Er, no. XP Home is just XP Pro with a bunch of features disabled
>> (local policy editor, admin account, multiprocessor support, domain
>> connectivity, stuff like that.) They are the same product; XP Pro just
>> has more features turned on.
>>
>> There is no difference in their device handling.
>>

>   Well, I saw it with my own eyes- repeatedly, whatever the reason.

The thing here that is important is what you are not registering.

It is not what you saw with your own eyes; that is not important.
It is the reason, which you are saying you don't know ("whatever
the..."); *that* is the important part.

> I was
> told the difference was between Pro and Home,

If you were told it, then it is hearsay, and hearsay is worthless.

>  but it could also have been
> service packs. The key here is, it should never have happened: the devices
> were only designed to work in Windows, not Linux.  In Linux, this kinda
> thing would be expected.

What are you asserting here? That the devices did not work? That they
worked but not well? That there were other problems? What would be
expected in Linux? Why would it be expected?

As far as I can see, all you're really saying is:

[1] Windows displays what you feel is too many status messages when
mounting a flash drive (personal opinion)
[2] That this is a difference between Windows editions (unsubstantiated hearsay)

>   Nah, I just don't care about Microsoft anymore.  The newly-discovered
> botnet (Ruskov?) mining for user's data [just for the last decade or so!],
> all the Zunes locking up today...anyone who buys it, deserves it.  I'm tired
> of trying to argue against something that's obviously a mass hysteria.

And what do your personal feelings about MS and its products have to
do with a usability test of Ubuntu Linux, exactly?

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven at aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven at hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven at yahoo.co.uk • Skype: liamproven • ICQ: 73187508