Ubuntu usability test

Brian Fahrlander wheeldweller at gmail.com
Sat Dec 27 17:08:02 GMT 2008

Ari Torhamo wrote:
> Have you used a thumb drive on their stuff, then used it on ours? Big
> difference!
>
> I haven't used a thumb drive on Windows, but indeed they work very well
> on Ubuntu.

   Try it sometime.  Some versions (XP Home, I believe) act like you've
just inserted some kind of alien probe; no less than six messages, all
of which the user can do little about, "Unconfigured Device Discovered"
and "New drive attached" and so on. The thing is, the client KNOWS it's
new, wants to see it, and expects no configuration to be required.
Under Linux it's install-n-use.  XP Pro seems less spastic about it.

    I think the simpler, harder-to-break and safe-on-the-net nature of
Ubuntu is THE selling point for Ubuntu. Every time crap gets caught in
Window's teeth it's another $100 for a flush-n-fill.  Why not get
something that doesn't get crap in it's teeth? The lack of Outlook is
NOT a selling point, too.

   :>

 Brian Fahrländer                 Christian, Conservative, and Technomad
 Evansville, IN                               http://CounterMoon.org/bio
 ICQ: 5119262                         AOL/Yahoo/GoogleTalk: WheelDweller