Linux desktop lacks innovation

Daniel Robitaille daniel.robitaille at mail.mcgill.ca
Thu Nov 29 00:27:15 GMT 2007

On 28-Nov-07, at 11:26 AM, Liam Proven wrote:

> I wouldn't normally bother carping on about bad grammar, but hey,
> given the number of people that gave me grief for their being unable
> to understand a perfectly grammatical, correct piece, why not?
>
> Joel, if English is not your native language, I'm sorry, I do not mean
> to mock. If it /is/ your native language, however, you should have
> paid more attention in school.

Politely pointing in private grammar problems to someone can be a
worthwhile exercise. And as non-native English speaker I personally
always welcome that kind of feedback to my emails as a way to improve
my English.  But to do so in public with a mocking tone like you did
to Joel is probably pushing this attempt at a english learning
exercise a bit too far...

And considering the number of international people involved in the
Ubuntu community, I would guess that these mailing lists have more
non-English speakers than English ones.  So chances are good you will
end up mocking someone who is trying his/her best to communicate in a
non-native language.  Not everyone was lucky enough to be born and
raised using the english language,  the de-facto default language for
Ubuntu development.