Linux desktop lacks innovation

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Wed Nov 28 16:26:44 GMT 2007

On 28/11/2007, Joel Bryan Juliano <joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com> wrote:

> Microsoft itself is not innocent regarding it's claims that Linux is

That should be "its claims".

> illegal.
> Just recently Microsoft allowed illegitimized

What does "illegitimized" mean?

> copies of their "Banditware
> Windows"

What is "Banditware Windows"?

> to bypass WPA activation in WIndows XP.
>
> I remember a commercial about endangered animals, that when "the buying
> stops, the killing too."
> Microsoft itself allows it's clients

That's "its clients".

> to be bandits, illigitimate users of

"Illegitimate".

> it's banditware,

"Its".

> for Microsoft, making their clients as bandits

Pardon?

> is important in their
> business, because "When Piracy stops, so thus Microsoft too"..

One full stop or three, not two. There are too many grammatical errors
in there to try.

> This only means that Linux is really catching up!

It does?

> As the old rule says, 20% of the entire Ubuntu users
>  make up the entire 80% of the Ubuntu popularity.

What? This is a bizarre new application of the Pareto Principle, as
far as I can see.

>  Hence, 80% of Canonical's earnings comes from the
>  20% of it's users,

"Its users". But anyway, what earnings? Canonical makes money from
support contracts. A damned sight fewer than 20% of Ubuntu users take
out those.

> and 20% of Ubuntu developer's
>  efforts

"Developers' efforts".

> results to 80% of the OS's innovation and features.

After rereading that three times... Where do you get that estimate
from? Seems pretty wild to me.

>  The 20% (or the vital few) is what's really counts

"What really counts".

>  and small vital efforts really results to big changes!

Which efforts are those, then?

> The more 20% there is, the faster the Linux market share grows!

Er. What? You want lots of 20% groups, or a bigger-than-twenty percent
group? Do you actually know?

> I say, Hooray!

Er, yes, good for you.

I wouldn't normally bother carping on about bad grammar, but hey,
given the number of people that gave me grief for their being unable
to understand a perfectly grammatical, correct piece, why not?

Joel, if English is not your native language, I'm sorry, I do not mean
to mock. If it /is/ your native language, however, you should have
paid more attention in school.

The mangled punctuation and grammar aside, though, I still have no
idea what you're actually getting at.

Are you saying that the copy-protection on Windows is driving people
towards Linux? If so, yes, I think so too, and I think that's great.
The bloat, miserable performance and poor features of Vista is doing
as much or more, though, I reckon, and that will continue. And of
course Vista has WPA too, which can be triggered merely by upgrading a
driver without any hardware changes.

To which I say,

Go Micros~1! More protection! More checks! More annoyances and grief
for your users! Make them pay even more for your overpriced products!

Because the more MS does this, the more people will be driven to the
competition. And that's good news for Linux and *all* Windows' rival
OSs, from Haiku to AROS to Mac OS X.

However, I can't make head or tail of the invocation of Pareto, AKA
the "80:20 rule". No idea what you mean there at all.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven at aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven at hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven at yahoo.co.uk • Skype: liamproven • ICQ: 73187508