Linux desktop lacks innovation

Joel Bryan Juliano joelbryan.juliano at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 20:48:19 GMT 2007

We must have a new metaphor in the entire desktop operations.

Everything is still locked in to the ubiquitious file-based user's
prespective-IT ALL MUST BE END!
Files must not be files, but objects, that has gravity and physics.
Screw THEIR menu bar, and show only one single search bar.
Files must not be in File Managers, but in each applications-just like
Tomboy does.
Devices and Drives on the Desktop? What the heck!-Don't show them and don't
show cut/copy/paste
operations but "Send to... > My beautiful X thumbdrive"
I'm sure there's so many ways to think this over. We're so SICK of Microsoft
bossing everything around!

On Nov 14, 2007 1:27 AM, Liam Proven <lproven at gmail.com> wrote:

> Not sure if folks hereabouts saw this. I had hoped for more
> constructive comment and criticism than I got. Even the legal eagles
> at Groklaw missed my point and dismissed it as a troll.
>

> http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2007/11/02/linux-innovation-missing
>
> Sundae Supplement
> Those who forget history are doomed to repeat it
>
> Extract:
> Executive summary for the terminally impatient
> Microsoft is complaining that "the Linux desktop including OpenOffice"
> infringes some 235 Microsoft patents. An objective comparison between
> the whole Linux desktop and Microsoft's Windows desktop shows that it
> has a good point; there are many resemblances, from trivial to
> profound. However, there are plentiful other non-Windows-like models
> of desktop to follow instead. At least two are already there:
> implemented, working and ready to use, complete with accessories. Two
> complete Free, open source desktops, radically different from anything
> Microsoft has patented. They're just not being used by any
> distributions.
>
> --
> Liam Proven • Profile: http://www.linkedin.com/in/liamproven
> Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
> Tel: +44 20-8685-0498 • Cell: +44 7939-087884 • Fax: + 44 870-9151419
> AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven at aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven at hotmail.com
> Yahoo: liamproven at yahoo.co.uk • Skype: liamproven • ICQ: 73187508

♐ Rules!!