INX Beta: Live CD based on Ubuntu 7.04, without X

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 17:25:52 GMT 2007

On Nov 13, 2007 9:07 AM, Peter Garrett <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> ===  INX Is Not X ===
>
> I'm sending this in the hope that other Ubuntu people will try it, and
> participate in testing/improving it... It's Ubuntu-based.

Interesting. I shall have a play.

I had been thinking of trying to create something similar, as a matter
of interest: a text-based Ubuntu with Internet clients and so on. My
primary interest was very low-end computers, but I also wanted to see
if it was possible to incorporate a screen reader, so that the distro
could be easily be used by blind users. I am sighted myself but I
support the PC of a blind friend, who uses WinXP with great speed and
competence using a screen-reader called HAL. This outputs via his
normal sound card, but he needs to have a graphics card and screen for
Windows to function correctly - for instance, he enjoys 3D games,
especially beat-em-up types, which he plays solely by ear.

Alas some of the Free screen-readers I've looked at rely on dedicated
hardware, which is expensive and also rather pointless when all modern
PCs come with stereo sound hardware capable of playing back rich
sampled sound at high fidelity.

Email: lproven at cix.co.uk • GMail/GoogleTalk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com
AOL/AIM/iChat: liamproven at aol.com • MSN/Messenger: lproven at hotmail.com
Yahoo: liamproven at yahoo.co.uk • Skype: liamproven • ICQ: 73187508