An Open Letter to the Open Source Community

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Tue May 29 10:12:59 BST 2007

On Mon, May 28, 2007 at 09:42:27AM +0100, David Gerard wrote:
> Arwyn Hainsworth wrote:
>
> >1) Amend the Code of Conduct with stricter wording, reminding people
> >that this is a multi-racial, multi-sex community and that we should
> >keep that in mind at all times.
>

> I suggest this is a bad idea - the CoC is hardly unclear in this
> regard, and adding more rules is unlikely to solve the problem of
> people not taking notice of the first set of rules.
>
> What appears to be lacking is for people to take the CoC seriously in
> the first place.

I don't think that Arwyn was suggesting adding more rules, only to clarify
the existing rules to be more explicit.

One possible reason for a lack of compliance with the CoC is that it's
rather general and subjective on some points, and so it isn't entirely clear
to everyone how it applies to a specific situation like this.

--
 - mdz