An Open Letter to the Open Source Community

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Tue May 22 23:32:23 BST 2007

On Tue, May 22, 2007 at 04:23:40PM +0700, Mikhail Gusarov wrote:

> Well, I'm deeply involved in the Ubuntu, just skimming it from time to time,
> unlike ALTLinux and Debian, and I do see the women are very welcome in those
> communities.

As Melissa says, debian-women has done a great deal to improve the
situation there. However, this hasn't removed the problem entirely
based on conversations I've had with various people. For the most part,
I think the Ubuntu community has demonstrated more willingness than
average to criticise sexist behaviour - compare this to the complete
confusion as to why anyone might find posting links to pictures of
lesbians to debian-devel-announce offensive.

Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org