Some observatins of the Dell deal.

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Wed May 2 15:56:28 BST 2007

On 5/2/07, Scott (angrykeyboarder) <geekboy at angrykeyboarder.com> wrote:
> Within the week prior to the announcement (per what I'd read on ZDNet or
> somewhere...), Mark Shuttleworth implied that it was a "possibly" down
> the road (or similar).
>
> I can't seem to find the article now, but the point is, corporate deals
> that are rumored (as this one was) in advance are always "denied" by the
> parties involved.

It came up a few times.  Here are two quotes from around the time of
Feisty's release:

===============

At least one major computer figure, not usually associated with Linux
or Ubuntu, is giving it a try. Michael Dell announced April 18 that
he's using the new Ubuntu on his personal laptop.
Mark Shuttleworth, Canonical's CEO, said, however, "You shouldn't read
too much into this. I'm thrilled he's using it, but I didn't know that
he was going to announce it, and I can't comment on any talks we are,
or are not, having with Dell about preloading Ubuntu onto Dell laptops
and desktops."

================

http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=199102409

==========
On a side note, an unusual vote of confidence for Feisty Fawn seems to
have come from PC magnate Michael Dell. Dell's corporate Web site that
details the founder's several home and work computers includes a Dell
Precision M90 laptop running Feisty Fawn. Dell as a company has
offered servers with pre-loaded Linux for several years, but has yet
to pick out an official distribution to support.

"It is a fun story for sure. The development guys here thought it was
great. But I wouldn't put too much into it," Shuttleworth said during
a conference call with the press, adding that Dell's use of Ubuntu was
not an indication that Canonical is -- or is not -- in discussions
with the PC maker. "The only time I ever met Michael Dell was at a
Microsoft Summit at their headquarters and I didn't think it
appropriate to bring up Linux there."

> I hope that Dell offers Ubuntu on PCs that people actually want to buy.
> Their current offerings of PCs with no OS (for those who intend to
> install Linux themselves) are rather lame when compared to their full
> product line.

the original desktoplinux.com article is the only one  I have seen
with actual rumoured details, model type, prices, etc:

Daniel Robitaille