Mr. Shuttleworth gets quote mined (and probably should blog to clear this up)

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Mon Jun 18 15:34:09 BST 2007

Michael T. Richter wrote:

>> > Because they have different tastes and/or different priorities?
>
>> No.  That's an excuse for not trying Ubuntu (and a fine one), but it's no
>> excuse for trashing it if you haven't used it (and I mean _used_ it - I
>> know I don't like Mac OS X, but I'm not going to trash it because there's
>> every appearance that my dislike is purely one of taste and priorities,
>> and there might actually be a pretty decent OS there).
>
> Oh, that's just standard fanboyism.  Whether it's cars (Ford vs. Chevy
> being the classic from my youth), gaming consoles (PSP/PS3 vs. NDS/Wii),
> computer languages (... on second thought I won't start that particular
> flame war here ...), editors ({vim vs. emacs} vs. editors that don't
> suck bowling balls through garden hoses) or any other issue of taste
> over verifiable fact people will always trash the perceived competition.

I'm not quite sure what point you're getting at.  Yes, some people will
always trash everything that isn't their toy of choice, and that's wrong.
But you said that it's OK to hate something you don't use if you have
different tastes or priorities.  I don't think so.  It's _fine_ not to use
something because of tastes and priorities but that doesn't excuse hate.

> Or are you missing the 100% ignorant Windows-trashing that goes on in
> Linux circles at times?

Hell, no.  I try only to indulge in well-informed Windows-trashing (at least
online - ask my wife how often she hears me say "I hate Windows...") and
frequently stand up for specific Windows apps.
--
derek