Sharing files between Ubuntu 6.06 and Windows XP Pro - best disk format to use

Eric Dunbar eric.dunbar at gmail.com
Thu Feb 8 13:22:56 GMT 2007

On 07/02/07, Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> Eric Dunbar wrote:
>

> >> Possibly - who reads EULAs :-)  Probably 95% of VMWare users have no
> >> intention of ever using it as a server (your situation obviously being
> >> different).
> >

> > That's almost certainly true (I read maybe 1/20 EULAs).
> >
> > [rant -- nothing implied about you or anyone else who's posted in this
> > [thread]
> >
> > However, given that there are some people (using VMware) in the OSS
> > community who vehemently defend Ubuntu/GNU as being in the right for
> > rejecting licence x, y or z as not being this or that (or compatible
> > with licence a, b or c) they MUST acknowledge and respect any
> > licencing restrictions placed upon the use of VMware Player by its
> > creator.
>
> True, but I also expect that any package accepted into Ubuntu be
> _essentially_ free (I know that multiverse specifically accepts packages
> that are not free enough for Debian, but afaik they still have to permit
> unrestricted usage by the user on a single system).  Perhaps I expect too
> much from Ubuntu...

Though, if you want to be picky, the GNU licence is not "free" either.
It doesn't allow you to do whatever you wish with it -- there are
restrictions placed upon your use and distribution.

But, that still doesn't relieve the user from any EULAs that may
happen to be in effect. If the EULA for VMware Player is restrictive
and if that restriction is incompatible with the EULA that applies to
whatever repository it happens to be in then it's the responsibility
of whoever is maintaining the repository to remove it (now, this
presumes the scenario where the EULA prevents its use as a server...
maybe I should actually read through that EULA (not that it affects
me) ;-).

Eric.