Announcing UDS Mountain View (Gobby + Audio)

Christian Bjälevik nafallo at magicalforest.se
Wed Sep 13 20:40:41 BST 2006

 Hi Paul and Jono,

ons 2006-09-13 klockan 18:37 +0100 skrev Paul Sladen:
> On Wed, 13 Sep 2006, Jono Bacon wrote:
> > On Wed, 2006-09-13 at 06:20 -0400, Jonathan Jesse wrote:
> > > will Gobby and the TeamTalk program [..] be available
> > We are just evaluating the best systems to use.
>
> My hunch is that one of the best trade-offs is going to be:
>
>   (1) Gobby +
>   (2) Broadcast-only audio (eg. PZM microphone on the table)
>
> I believe this may cover the most use-cases in one go:
>
>   (a) easily done.
>   (b) => high-bandwidth (in the verbal sense) audio to remote people.
>   (c) <- non-blocking feedback route via Gobby "IRC" chat.
>
> This only requires one person *per table* to run the microphone->audio
> uplink feed to the collaboration server;  the rebroadcast can then be done
> by an off-the-shelf copy of ice-cast.
>
> Perhaps we could transfer this to the sounder list.
>
> 	-Paul

From one of those guys who can never make it to a UDS for some reason or
the other, for Paris I think the external toys where a new thing. My
experience of that was that I never installed Teamspeak, mostly because
I couldn't just apt-get install it, and so just used Gobby for the
communication. Mostly I just edited specs inline and found the chat
feature to help with the discussions. From that I also saw that I missed
a lot of the discussions that where in the room. Therefore I really like
Pauls proposal to just use ice-cast or something like that so I will
just need Gobby and Rhythmbox | Totem | Banshee | "Your favorite radio
player" to participate.

PS Moving this to sounder as proposed. DS

Cheers, /C
--
Christian Bjälevik <nafallo at ubuntu.com>