Edgy in the news

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at fastmail.fm
Mon Oct 30 02:16:24 GMT 2006

On Mon, 30 Oct 2006, baza wrote:
> I did have to dist-upgrade twice, and apt-get xserver-xorg by hand, but
> other than that it was painless, and as far as I know I've got all the
> packages and apps I should have.

just re-read what you just wrote, and that's probably the essence of the
problems for a lot of these cases seen in these blogs and form postings.
Me, you, and probably most the users on this list have the knowledge to
do these steps to repair that failed upgrade.

Most users probably don't even know what "apt-get" is, some have
possibly heard of that magical spell "apt-get dist-upgrade" and are
trying it after being told by someone that this is the way to upgrade,
and the majority have never heard of that mysterious "xserver-xorg"
thing.

They run the dist-upgrade once, run into very obscure errors (for their
knowledge level), and then stop and complain that the upgrade has broke
their system.

Daniel