Edgy in the news

baza baza41 at gmail.com
Mon Oct 30 00:13:22 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-10-30 at 10:26 +1100, Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Mon, 30 Oct 2006 09:56:27 +1100
> Alexander Jacob Tsykin <stsykin at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Judging by the upgrade nots at help.ubuntu.com, [1] they are righ and shodl
> > expect the dist-upgrade to work. It's one of the recommended methods.
>
> Sort of.
>
> Note that the following appears prominently on that page near the top of
> the relevant section:
>
> "Upgrading Ubuntu using apt-get
>
> Please note - this method is much less reliable. Using Update Manager (see
> above) is likely to be much less problematic. "
>
> The CLI procedure also involves repeating the dist-upgrade command like
> this:

I'm not sure what's going on with all these posts I'm reading about
people who had problems upgrading. I upgraded from Dapper using apt-get
and it all worked fine really. Could anyone point out what goes wrong
for some people who try this?

I did have to dist-upgrade twice, and apt-get xserver-xorg by hand, but
other than that it was painless, and as far as I know I've got all the
packages and apps I should have.

Baz.