Freespire's Google ads: "What is Ubuntu Missing?"

Chanchao custom at freenet.de
Wed Oct 4 09:02:10 BST 2006

It seems Freespire is exactly the thing I wondered about way back when I
started using Ubuntu:  "It Does Not Have To Be That Hard" to get stuff
to play, and I always felt Ubuntu was over-cautious on licensing
issues.. You'd think that if ANYONE would have the connections/clout to
get the licensing issues for home users sorted then it would be sabdfl..
  Yet it never happened, and now there's Freespire with others likely to
follow suit.  (OpenSuse perhaps?) So how about it?  Let's do an
'enriched media edition' of Ubuntu.

I did notice however that Freespire uses KDE, which I hate A LOT more
than a bit of DIY'ing on the RestrictedFormats page.

I bet dumping KDE in favour of Gnome is a lot more involved than a bit
of gstreamer downloading......

So in answer to the Freespire ad about 'steps needed to make X the
perfect OS', I'd like to see their instuctions to ditch KDE on Freespire
and bolt on something more humane.

Cheers,
Chanchao