Launchpad integration bits [Was: FSF announces release of gNewSense 1.0]

Jeff Waugh jdub at perkypants.org
Thu Nov 9 00:52:43 GMT 2006

<quote who="Derek Broughton">

> Damn!  I said I was done.  Whether or not Launchpad is free was NEVER part
> of this discussion.  We all agree it is not. It was whether or not
> gNewSense could possibly have actually removed something from the
> distribution that isn't part of the distribution.  There's a whole other
> thread about the status of the Launchpad license (or lack thereof).

Hopefully this might be the final answer: Of course they didn't remove
Launchpad itself: They removed the Launchpad integration components [1] in
Ubuntu. While the integration components themselves are Free Software
(because they have to be) the gNewSense developers had no desire to expose
Launchpad integration in their OS, because Launchpad itself is non-Free.

Not very complicated. :-)

- Jeff

[1] apt-cache search launchpad integration

      "Trying to get a PC to analyse one of the most abstract forms of
   language - the poem - is like trying to drill for oil with a banana."
                               - The Register