interesting article, for all those who think Ubuntu is already easy

James "Doc" Livingston doclivingston at gmail.com
Wed May 24 16:13:38 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-05-25 at 00:59 +1000, Alexander Jacob Tsykin wrote:
[re: GUI configuration of "magic" options]
> it is easier, if it is "pointy clicky" with tooltips etc. It is much easier
> than editting some obscure file as root whose syntax they probably do not
> understand

Adding tooltips to "magic" options doesn't usually help much - if the
user doesn't know what the option is for, an extra sentence won't make
much of a difference.

I can't think of a particularly useful tooltip besides "this option may
make your computer work better, or break it horribly. We can't figure
out which, so it's probably not a good idea to change it."

Cheers,

James "Doc" Livingston
--
"I think we agnostics need a term for a holy war too. I feel all left
out." - George Lebl