making Ubuntu easy

Matthew East mdke at ubuntu.com
Tue May 23 22:07:48 BST 2006

On Wed, 2006-05-24 at 06:59 +1000, Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Tue, 23 May 2006 21:36:55 +0100
> Matthew East <mdke at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>
> [ snip]
>
> > So in my view the answer is no, there isn't a mindset that pushes
> > applications like EasyUbuntu down, there are simply better solutions
> > that we should strive for.
>
> I agree with the sentiment - but are there not potential legal issues in
> popping up dialogues or whatever that encourage people to install, for
> instance, patent-protected or otherwise restricted functionality?

I don't think so... the same issues arise as those which arise when the
user activates the multiverse repository (and the documentation), and
these can be well dealt with by a nicely worded dialogue and
appropriately scary icons.

For things which aren't in any of the official repositories, obviously,
that is outside the catchment area.

> At this point the best chance totally new users have of getting this kind
> of functionality is to have a geeky friend or LUG member looking over
> their shoulder, and directing traffic for them, as it were.

Or reading the Desktop Guide, or using EasyUbuntu :)

Matt
mdke at ubuntu.com
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF