Edgy on DVD only ?

Scott listboi at angrykeyboarder.com
Tue May 16 19:41:07 BST 2006

I'm a little late (as usual) but I wanted to offer my $.02 (not that
anyone will notice at this point).

On 05/11/2006 11:57 PM, * Jeff Waugh spake thusly:

> I strongly suspect that we'll regard DVDs as sufficiently widespread by the
> time we feel enough pressure to 'go large'.

Are you referring to DVD±R/RW drives or just DVD drives?

In the case of the latter.  I first got one in a computer back in 1999
and I believe they had been around for a year or so at that time.

In the case of DVD±R/RW drives, Haven't they been around for about 5
years now?.

I'd think in another year it would make sense.   More and more Windows
software is coming out on DVD.  SUSE has been distributing DVD versions
of their retail software for the past 2-3 years I believe.

When I first tried Fedora Core (Fedora Core 2 at the time) they had it
on DVD as well.

> There's still room to move on the CD -- hard choices to make to get it, but
> it's there.

I'm really surprised Linux in general is so slow to move to better
compression methods. Gzip is the most popular (why I don't know) and
offers the least compression.  bzip2 is better (and comes with every
Linux distro I'm aware of) and yet isn't as widely used as gzip.

There are other compression formats that are better.  The best at the
moment probably being 7-Zip (which is also open source).  If that were
used instead of gzip/bzip2,then it would allow more to be squeezed onto
a CD.

--
	Scott
www.angrykeyboarder.com