ALSA, OSS and the pointless of switching to Pulse [Was: Paris summit]

Paul Sladen ubuntu at paul.sladen.org
Mon Jun 26 14:27:59 BST 2006

On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-06-26 at 13:51 +0100, Paul Sladen wrote:
> > On Mon, 26 Jun 2006, Scott James Remnant wrote:
> > > I think we should drop ALSA OSS emulation in favour of /dev/dsp being a
> > > user-space character device provided by some kind of mixer
> > a userspace mixing solution in the middle;  be that 'dmix' or 'esd'.
> I would add PulseAudio to the top of that list simply on the basis that
> it actually appears to be maintained.

Maintained+Buggy vs. Unmaintained+Stable.  The last time this came up (two
releases) back, we stuck with 'esd' for that reason.  jdub reckons that PA
is getting more usable now thought.[0]

...However since they still provide the same external interface ('drop-in
compatibility') then it doesn't really matter when considering what to
target a userspace /dev/dsp to.

	-Paul

[0] I'm not a supporter of change for changes sack, especially if it's still
in development that is going to lead to constant package churn.
--
High on a Spanish mountain, surrounded by howling dogs.  Brussels, BE