ALSA [Was: Paris summit]

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at ubuntu.com
Wed Jun 21 18:42:45 BST 2006

<quote who="Lee Revell">

> Um, sorry, I disagree.  ALSA supports the same read()/write() programming
> model that OSS does (and several more).  What's your problem with it?

The overwhelming response I get from ISVs is that the libalsa interface is
complicated - both for doing simple things and hard things. They worry about
API/ABI stability. It's relatively unproven, in particular for ISVs... and
that's what all the complaints are about -- Skype, Flash, TeamSpeak, etc. On
the other hand, OSS is dead simple for an ISV, with zero dependencies. I do
not blame ISVs for their choice, not for a minute. I have every sympathy.

> And what alternative do you suggest?

I've been working through the upstream desktop community and OSDL DTL to
come to a useful conclusion for this. It is very hard, because there are a
number of semi-conflicting use cases and requirements. However, I do *not*
believe that libalsa is part of the answer, at least in terms of exposed
interface (to ISVs and everyone else). I think a combination of JACK, Pulse,
the GStreamer multimedia framework and a very simple audio API (something
like libao) will eventually solve this. The challenge is getting it right
and establishing buy-in across the community *and* ISVs... But that's the
fun bit for me. :-)

- Jeff

--
GUADEC 2006: Vilanova i la Geltrú, Spain            http://2006.guadec.org/

     "Love's such an old fashioned word." - Queen & David Bowie, Under
                                 Presssure