Dapper Drake ubuntu

Robert McWilliam rmcw at allmail.net
Wed Jun 14 04:48:46 BST 2006

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 10:08:25 +0700, "Chanchao" <custom at freenet.de> said:
> On Tue, 2006-06-13 at 03:11 +0200, Florian Diesch wrote:
>
> > > How do I get rid of windows???
> >
> > The installer can delete it. But I think it's a good idea to keep your
> > windows as it may take some time to get used to work with Ubuntu and
> > it's useful to have a system you can do your work with.
> >
> > I don't know what you have to do so that the installer doesn't delete
> > your windows but maybe someone else can tell you.
>
> I think by far the best approach for new users is to FIRST resize
> (reduce) your windows partition, leaving at least 5 Gb of free,
> unpartitioned space at the end of the disk, THEN run the Ubuntu
> installer and tell it to use any available free space figure everything
> else automatically.
>
> Step one (reducing your windows partition) goes like:
>
> 1. Boot into Windows and check that you have enough free space. Remove
> files or programs as necessary.  Then run disk 'defragmentation'. This
> is built into windows, just right click the drive from the My Computer
> window, then select the Tools tab and run Defragment.  This may take a
> while.  (Several hours, if the disk is slower and fuller)
>
> 2. Then boot into the Ubuntu Live CD.  Select the Partionioning Tool
> from the System->Administration menu.   Resize the partition, creating
> free space AT THE END (right hand side). (Click and hold on the right,
> then drag and slide to the left, creating empty space on the right.)
> Create at least 4-5Gb, preferably a bit more.
>
> 3. Run the Ubuntu installer as usual and tell it to use any free
> available space.  (NOT the default option which is to nuke the lot.)
>
> (It always struck me as interesting why the default option is to
> obliterate everything... That's something I'd expect Windows Vista to
> do, not Ubuntu? :P :)

I'd disagree with that advice - the partitioning tool in the installer
is easier to use for resizing to make room for ubuntu. If you choose the
option of shrinking an existing partition to make room you are given a
slider to pick how much you want tot shrink it and the installer than
makes sane choices for putting stuff in the free space:
http://ormiret.com/ubuntu/6.png

Also, is removing still the default for a windows partition? Resizing
was the default when I tried the installer but that was a linux
partition.
  Robert McWilliam
  rmcw at allmail.net
  www.ormiret.com

  The days of the digital watch are numbered.