Installing a compiler by default

Shawn McMahon smcmahon at eiv.com
Tue Jun 13 21:33:09 BST 2006

On Tue, Jun 13, 2006 at 03:21:40PM -0400, Lee Revell said:

> A more apt analogy would be if your SSN is posted somewhere on the net
> such that I can trivially Google it, but you don't know that.  Then I
> would argue that yes, you are less secure because you think the
> information is secret but it's not, so you don't take any counter
> measures like monitoring your credit report.

No, a more apt analogy would be that I monitor my credit report,
occasionally search Google for my own SSN, and yet still reply in the
mailing list with my SSN when you ask for it, because not doing so is
security by obscurity.  :)

Not putting a C compiler on is not the only thing Ubuntu does to enhance
security.  It's a fairly minor thing, in fact.  I don't think anybody is
arguing that it's a hugely effective win for security.

--
   Shawn McMahon    | "I can see the light at the end of the tunnel.
   EIV Consulting   | And now that I have some light, I can see the