Installing a compiler by default

Anders Karlsson trudheim at gmail.com
Mon Jun 12 19:31:18 BST 2006

On Mon, 2006-06-12 at 19:03 +1000, Peter Garrett wrote:
> On Mon, 12 Jun 2006 06:48:07 +0100
> Anders Karlsson <trudheim at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On a system that run services it is bad security practise to
> > install a compiler,
>
> Which services run by default on a standard desktop Ubuntu install ?
> I thought "nothing is listening" was the policy?

On the default install there should be nothing as you say.

> I'm not aware of any services that are listening on the public interface
> by default on a desktop install - perhaps someone can enlighten me, as
> Shawn took it upon himself to do (so tactfully, and without condescension)
> in a previous post ;-)

And I was not aware that all users now have to be treated to a compiler
getting installed onto their system when the obvious target audience
will not need it.

I'd think that removing the compiler tool-chain from the ISO in favour
of freeing up space for more needed desktop tools would have been the
more sensible approach though. A task or a meta-package that pulls in
the relevant stuff from the repo's would be fairly trivial.

> Obviously one would not want a compiler installed in the server version ...

Indeed.

--
Anders Karlsson <trudheim at gmail.com>