Installing a compiler by default

Alexander Jacob Tsykin stsykin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 9 15:54:18 BST 2006

On Saturday 10 June 2006 00:07, Rocco Stanzione wrote:
> On Friday 09 June 2006 08:56, Alexander Jacob Tsykin wrote:
> > As a computer user who is experienced, know how to program a bit, and can
> > use a compiler, I can safely say that there seems to be little point in
> > learning this for the sake of it. It was useful for me, because I like to
> > install some extra packages, but I don't think this applies to many
> > people (just gut feel). A computer is just a tool, a very useful one, but
> > it's important to remember that most people only want to learn as much as
> > they need to to get the job done. Being experienced with compiling is not
> > inherently positive, it is only so when it is useful.
>
> I disagree with this.  The ability to build software from its source -
> which you have the power to modify - is one of the great things about
> running Linux, which is too often overlooked.  Even if you don't have the
> skill to modify the source, or understand it if you read it, it's
> empowering to know that it's available and to have the tools at your
> disposal to do what you please with it.

I disagree completely. The computer does not make me feel empowered, it is a
tool uniquely suited for its task, a bit like a screwdriver (an expensive
one ;) ), that's all. There is no need to spend time, effort, and disk space,
making the tool more versatile than it needs to be. Ubuntu already has a
relatively large footprint, there is no need at all to make it larger, as it
is completely trivial to install teh build-essentials package if you wantneed
to, and you don't even need an internet connection as the packages are stored
on the cd. If you know enough about linux to be able to compile competently,
then you can be safely expected to know this. If you don't, maybe you
shouldn't be compiling kernel modules, considering the potential to break
something.

Sasha