libdvdcss

Jan Claeys lists at janc.be
Mon Jun 5 17:28:59 BST 2006

Op zo, 04-06-2006 te 17:30 -0400, schreef Lee Revell:
> On Sun, 2006-06-04 at 22:59 +0200, Jan Claeys wrote:
> > Code is not the only way to help make this possible.
> > Another way would be to collect a bounty to give who implements
> > this...
> > (And some other things might help too, like making a specification of
> > what programs probably need changes to implement this.)

> Why are you still talking about code?  The hard problem here is legal,
> not technical.  How do you make it easy to install DVD support without
> putting Ubuntu on the hook for contributory infringement?

I was talking about changes to programs and/or libraries (so that means
code) to point people to legal ways to obtain support for MP3s, DVDs,
etc., instead of the mostly meaningless errors they get these days.
(And legal MP3 codecs are available from 'multiverse' already, thanks to
Fluendo paying for the required license.)

There is, by definition, absolutely no legal problem with doing that.

--
Jan Claeys