libdvdcss

Anders Karlsson trudheim at gmail.com
Sat Jun 3 11:52:41 BST 2006

On Sat, 2006-06-03 at 15:58 +1000, Alexander Jacob Tsykin wrote:
> On Saturday 03 June 2006 00:01, Jerry Haltom wrote:
> > Don't see why they can't wait. ;) Ubuntu is working fine for me!
> >
> Ubuntu does not work fine for me without libdvdcss. While I made my own deb
> for it, this requires command line knowledge, particularly if you want to do
> it properly using dh_make and not just checkinstall, as checkinstall does not
> always work for me. You cannot ask everybody who has no idea about computers
> to go to this trouble, another solution is necessary.

Or people can just add Marillat's repository that has all that stuff
built already. Marillat builds for Debian though, so it may or may not
slot in to Ubuntu without problem.
It is quite telling really that despite Ubuntu's target audience -
no-one has decided that picking up Marillat's packages and making a
repository specific to Ubuntu is a good idea. I take that to mean that
libdvdcss / Xine with deCSS, is fairly low on the priority list in the
grand scheme of things.

If people campaign for the 'no cost' solution to be included
(libdvdcss), it will fuel the picture the content producers are painting
of Linux users as thiefs and criminals. If people weigh in behind
Fluendo's effort that is legal but will cost money, it takes the wind
out of the sails of the content producers.

Or there is the smartest solution of all, don't but content that has CSS
or any other form of DRM. Once enough people do this, the incentive to
use DRM disappears and there will be no need to include libdvdcss or
other legally dubious solutions to access content.

Not watching DVD's on my Linux desktop is a small price to pay to get
rid of DRM once and for all.

--
Anders Karlsson <trudheim at gmail.com>