libdvdcss

Alexander Jacob Tsykin stsykin at gmail.com
Fri Jun 2 07:35:04 BST 2006

On Thursday 01 June 2006 13:10, Jerry Haltom wrote:
> I don't really know what is wrong with doing nothing. MS did nothing.
> Third parties developed apps. It doesn't have to be on Ubuntu's
> shoulders to solve this problem.
>
> If nothing else, Canonical could maybe push a third party to
> provide/support one.
>
> I think though Fluendo is doing this for us.

Very simple. When Microsoft did nothing, they were already very popular, so an
app coming out was a virtual certainty. Also, you must consider that video
DVD playback then was not considered as critical as it is now. These days,
many people will not use a computer unless it cannot play video DVDs. This
means that really Canonical can't wait.

Sasha