libdvdcss

Randy Gloden sounder at microbabble.com
Thu Jun 1 04:06:44 BST 2006

You can only fix what is broken and what you have the abilities to fix.
I use the NVIDIA driver and have neither the desire nor the skillset to
make any beneficial modifications.  It becomes a technical problem when
it doesn't work, and for me, it works.

I'm not saying that I prefer close source, but I prefer a closed source
solution to an illegal one.  A possible free as in beer solution may be
possible, but the requirements set forth by the "DVD CCA" dictate
protections that prevent the development of a completely
legitimate/legal open source solution because core components have to be
concealed as part of the contract.  Developers must sign a
non-disclosure aggrement, and there is a whole list of other gotchas
relating to the protection of the "official" algorithms.  They act as if
no one knows their little secret.

So, we can't include libdvdcss in the the disto because of legal
reasons, we can't add a binary solution because of religious/ethical/(or
technical if you prefer) reasons, so our only path to Linux DVD playback
is to: Compromise on either the legal or the open source stances and
thus install libdvdcss after the initial Ubuntu install or use a closed
source solution.  Either way, it comes down to a better of evils decision.

I personally use the binary NVIDIA drivers, and would not lose any sleep
over using a closed source Freespire DVD application.  At the same time,
I am hoping that NVIDIA will open up.  I hold no such hope for the DVD
CSS group.

www.microbabble.com