A New User Experience

Andrew Price andy at andrewprice.me.uk
Tue Jul 25 23:59:38 BST 2006

I guess this little new user account is exemplary of the kind of
situations in which new users who have no knowledge of Linux
administration can be put off using Linux altogether. Maybe it will help
to remind us of the challenges we face in order to patch bug #1. Here's
the tale:

Due to Windows 98 support being discontinued, my brother-in-law has
recently been trying to switch to using Linux. Since I'm a keen Ubuntu
user and I've even got my mother using Ubuntu quite comfortably (dual
booting windows for when she gets annoyed with trying to print on Linux)
back at home, he thought he would give it a try too.

As far as I know, my brother-in-law has managed to get Ubuntu installed
and up and running, but without an internet connection. Yesterday
evening he sent me a text message saying, "Need help with Linux. Trying
to install adsl modem" which I didn't have the time to reply to last night.

He obviously didn't get very far with it since then because tonight I
received another message with a couple more details from him saying,
"Trying to set up sagem modem in ubuntu. Can't get terminal into session
root. Asking for password." So I replied to this one explaining about
how to run programs as root in a terminal on Ubuntu. Unfortunately SMS
isn't the most wonderful way to act as Ubuntu help desk but alas, I had
no other option.

The next reply that I received left me grumbling a bit: "Trying Suse
10.1 now. Given up on Ubuntu." Well, I'm happy that he's sticking with
trying the FOSS solution for now, but the fact that he was put off
Ubuntu after a very short amount of time, and because of a problem that
probably exists on a lot of other Linux distros too, leaves me a bit
frustrated.

So, I guess that's where it ends. Instead of replying saying that he
should stick with Ubuntu and learn more about it, I asked him to send me
an e-mail (once he finally gets on-line) detailing why he gave up on
Ubuntu specifically. If he does that, I'll post it on this thread.

What's missing from Ubuntu that would have let my brother-in-law install
his modem and become just as keen a Ubuntu user as I am instead of
giving up on it?

--
Andy Price
http://andrewprice.me.uk