Two rather negative articles about Ubuntu

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Sat Jul 8 02:34:53 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 21:32 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Meanwhile, every solution I've seen has been of the form "I toggled
> this, and now I've got sound", implying that it _is_ a configuration
> problem.  If I get a better handle on it, I'll file a bug report.

To debug intermittent "no sound":

When the sound is working, save the mixer state and copy the config to a
file:

  alsactl store; cp /var/lib/alsa/asound.state good.state

Then, when the sound is not working:

  alsactl store; cp /var/lib/alsa/asound.state bad.state

Then supply the output of "diff good.state bad.state".

If the files are identical, it is a driver bug.  Otherwise, it's an
application bug/configuration issue.

Lee