Two rather negative articles about Ubuntu

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Sat Jul 8 02:29:46 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 21:32 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Lee Revell wrote:
>
> > I can tell you now what's causing the problem, incomplete hardware
> > driver support.  "No sound on $LAPTOP_MODEL" is absolutely a useful bug
> > report if it includes the exact make and model of the affected
> > hardware.
> >
> I don't think so.  A year ago, sound worked perfectly - which would suggest
> that there really isn't a driver problem.

No, it doesn't suggest that.  It's very common for a driver change that
fixes sound on one machine to break it on another.  Full regression
testing is impossible as ALSA developers only have access to a small
fraction of the supported hardware.

> Even now, _sometimes_ sound
> works.  Meanwhile, every solution I've seen has been of the form "I toggled
> this, and now I've got sound", implying that it _is_ a configuration
> problem.  If I get a better handle on it, I'll file a bug report.

I think bug reports should be filed early and often, so that the
developers who know the code better than anyone can help you debug it.

> There really is no good reason to file bugs saying "sound doesn't work" -
> even if you have full hardware details - and even less reason to file a bug
> that says nothing more than "sound works intermittently".

Having participated in ALSA driver development, I think you're wrong.
It is useful.

Lee