Two rather negative articles about Ubuntu

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Jul 7 21:24:28 BST 2006

Lee Revell wrote:

> On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 09:37 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:

>> The other thing
>> that could use some serious attention, imo, is sound configuration.
>> There's still too many messages on the lists indicating that it's all
>> still magic.
>
> You should not have to "configure your soundcard" to make it work.

Try explaining that to all the people who can't get sound out of their
systems.

> If it doesn't work OOTB it's a bug.

Yes...

> Unfortunately wth the proliferation of
> HDA intel based devices the situation is getting worse because the
> design relies on the driver reading correct pin assignments from the
> BIOS.  Many vendors don't bother and just hardcode this info in the
> Windows driver.

I believe you've hit the nail on the head, but...

>> Me, I get sound every second or third time I login...
>
> Where's the bug report?

Would _you_ accept a bug report that only says "sound doesn't work" (or
worse, "sound works intermittently")?  Give me a break - I submit my share
of bug reports, but I'm sure there are already reports that say that much.
If I ever figure out what's causing the problem, I'll submit a proper
report.
--
derek