Two rather negative articles about Ubuntu

Lee Revell rlrevell at joe-job.com
Fri Jul 7 14:52:05 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-07-07 at 09:37 -0300, Derek Broughton wrote:
> Jan Claeys wrote:

> >> You're probably right, but the point made that it requires using the CLI
> >> to configure some parts of the system is true, and there really should be
> >> some work put into making that simpler, while not compromising security.
> >
> > Which is why e.g. a user-friendly X-config tool is a goal for edgy
> > AFAIK...  :-)
>
> I saw something about that - I'm looking forward to it.  The other thing
> that could use some serious attention, imo, is sound configuration.
> There's still too many messages on the lists indicating that it's all still
> magic.

You should not have to "configure your soundcard" to make it work.  If
it doesn't work OOTB it's a bug.  Unfortunately wth the proliferation of
HDA intel based devices the situation is getting worse because the
design relies on the driver reading correct pin assignments from the
BIOS.  Many vendors don't bother and just hardcode this info in the
Windows driver.

> Me, I get sound every second or third time I login...

Where's the bug report?

Lee