Locking down Ubuntu

David Kempe dave at solutionsfirst.com.au
Fri Jul 7 11:21:09 BST 2006

Paul Sladen wrote:
  > I think this is an absolutely vital requirement.  Clearly the best
way to
> make this happen is to provide a read-only base-image for Ubuntu and check
> that the md5sum of this partition is correct on each reboot.

I enjoyed that Paul,
but seriously, could we use LVM and snapshots to provide a 'rollback'
feature for users if they wanted it?
I haven't had alot of stability with lvm snapshots in recent kernels,
but i assume that will get fixed.
Anyone considered it? You can write to the snapshots, and try everything
out, then figure out a way to make the snapshot the primary and continue
on. Or rsync it back or whatever. Might be a good way to try an upgrade
or something if it could be figured out.

dave