Opera 9 for Ubuntu?

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at gmail.com
Thu Jul 6 22:20:22 BST 2006

On 7/6/06, Jan Claeys <lists at janc.be> wrote:
> On do, 2006-07-06 at 07:41 -0700, Daniel Robitaille wrote:
> > The press release annoucing that Opera 9 is available directly from
> > Ubuntu repositories:
> > http://www.prweb.com/releases/2006/7/prweb407638.htm
> >
> > "Canonical and Opera have worked together to provide Ubuntu users
> > withan easy installation of the latest Opera 9 Browser."
> >

> > But I can't seem to find it with either apt-cache or using the add
> > application software.
>
> You can download a .deb from Opera's download-site, and double-clicking
> it will launch 'gdebi'?
>
> <http://opera.com/download/> and select Ubuntu from the dropdown, then
> the checkbox for the correct version...

yes I know about that deb file.  But the press release seems to imply
that there is now a simpler way:

"With just a few clicks of the mouse, all Ubuntu users can download
and install the latest version of the Opera browser"

Personally, after reading that, I was expecting for Opera something
similar to Sun Java, i.e, available via synaptic.

--
Daniel Robitaille