[Fwd: Re: Two rather negative articles about Ubuntu]

Mario Vukelic mario.vukelic at dantian.org
Thu Jul 6 21:49:10 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 08:44 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 06, 2006 at 07:06:57AM +0200, Mario Vukelic wrote:
> > >From people not installing ubuntu-desktop before upgrading
>
> Ubuntu has always used these metapackages to arrange for the addition of new
> packages to the default install upon upgrade, and so this problem has always
> existed in Ubuntu.  update-manager provides a way around the problem, but it
> isn't any more broken than it previously was.

I totally agree and have argued somewhat along those lines all along*.
But the very start of this discussion was a harsh criticism of Ubuntu,
after yet another user botched the upgrade because she ignored this
need**. It happens /all/ the time on ubuntu-users, but this time it was
actually the author of the Linux Cookbook, and it resulted in a nasty
blog entry at O'Reilly.

So whatever is right (and i do believe instructions are there to be read
and followed, and I know that a dist-upgrade alone was never enough,
etc.), the fact unfortunately remains that many users get it wrong.
However I suspect it hits mostly those that are advanced far enough to
think they need no instructions, but not farther.

Regards,

* I understand that you have other things to do than monitoring sounder
** At least as far as I can guess, the info given was sketchy (Though I
still not get it how you can write the Cookbook and be incapable of
upgrading Ubuntu.)