Re: Ubuntu in the news: "Cosmonaut takes on Windows’ global reach "

Corey Burger corey.burger at gmail.com
Mon Jan 23 06:50:59 GMT 2006

On 1/22/06, Daniel Robitaille <robitaille at gmail.com> wrote:
> Cosmonaut takes on Windows' global reach
> http://www.businessday.co.za/articles/national.aspx?ID=BD4A142771
>
> A couple of interesting quotes (facts?)  in there:
>
> "Estimates put the number of computers running Ubuntu at up to
> 6-million and doubling every eight months."
>
> "Google has developed its own version of Ubuntu, called Goobuntu.
> Shuttleworth says he is in talks with the city of Munich about
> creating an edition for them."
>

> --
> Daniel Robitaille

The only Google love for "goobuntu" is this link
https://lists.dulug.duke.edu/pipermail/dulug/2005-November/016656.html
which appears to have nothing to do with Google, rather it seems to be
about source-based Ubuntu.

As for the numbers, that would rank us along with Mandriva, which
claim 6 to 8 million users. I think we are actually lower than that,
but there is no good way to track this.

Corey