Xgl/Compiz competitor from Fedora

volvoguy volvoguy at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 08:00:56 GMT 2006

On 2/23/06, Matthew Garrett <mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org> wrote:

> It's certainly a lot easier to integrate than Xgl right now, though the
> range of effects it allows is slightly smaller.

It's also more limited in the hardware it'll run on. It seemed kind of
backwards to me that ATI based products work, but Nvidia based cards
(with either the open-source or binary driver) either don't work or
don't work as well.

I'm not a programmer so I don't know which is easier to implement, but
on my Nvidia hardware the Xgl stuff seemed light years beyond what we
have now - and it hasn't crashed any more often than plain ol' Xorg in
my experience with it.

Of course, I have a fancy new Nvidia card on the way so I may be a bit
biased. :o) I can't wait to see what Xgl will do with a high-end
Nvidia card though!

--
Aaron

Ubuntu SVG Artwork - http://www.volvoguy.net/ubuntu