sec=unclassified | RE: "Ubuntu takes on XP in the gadget arena"

Stoffers, Robert LAC Robert.Stoffers at defence.gov.au
Wed Feb 15 21:38:53 GMT 2006

>There's absolutely no need to be insulting just because a few people point
>out that MS has got better.  That doesn't mean they're _well_, just better
>than they were.

There was nothing insulting in what I just said, all I did say were the facts I have seen from actual experience. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't necessarily mean that they are insulting you. All OSes crash, that's just life.

>Of course it has nothing to do with Microsoft Marketing, crud or otherwise.
>It's based on the experience at a large government department with about
>1000 users at this location.  I don't use XP Home, but word-of-mouth from
>many people of varying levels is that it's pretty solid.  I _do_ use XP
>Pro, and it never crashes under normal use - and has never crashed for me
>in some pretty abnormal use.  Most users here do operate in a controlled
>environment, I don't :-)
>--

The only one who claims Microsoft Windows XP etc doesn't blue screen is their marketing department. I administer around 7000 Windows NT and XP PCs locally and about twice that remotely, so I have a fair idea what I'm talking about. Right now I'm looking at two Windows NT PCs and an XP Pro PC, all three BSOD from time to time and that's just on my desk alone.

- Robert Stoffers