MEPIS may be going Ubuntu

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Mon Feb 13 01:09:29 GMT 2006

On Sat, Feb 11, 2006 at 12:11:14AM -0600, Randy Gloden wrote:
> However, when I hand out a Ubuntu CD for others to install on their own,
> I will inevitablly hear back that much of the functionality that they
> take for granted from their Redmondsoft installs is missing.  They want
> to play DVDs, mp3, and expect to surf the net and have most multimedia
> element function correctly.  (The Dells of the world are shipping
> WinDVD/PowerDVD like mad)  These people don't want to hear a sermon on
> the higher principles associated with free software.

The problems you describe have little to do with the principles of free
software, but with patents.  Patent-encumbered software generally can't be
copied freely (e.g., the patent holder requires that royalties be paid for
each copy).  It is critically important that Ubuntu is able to be copied
freely, and that is where the conflict lies.

There may be a market for a commercial derivative of Ubuntu which bundles
these additional components and is available for a reasonable price, but
this can't be Ubuntu itself.

--
 - mdz